Dr. Herbert Rodrigues
Sociology and Anthropology
Dr. Herbert Rodrigues is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. That he would become a university professor was not at all obvious from his background. Born into a working-class family during the economic and political turmoil of Brazil’s military dictatorship, Dr. Rodrigues was the first in his family to finish high school, the first to go to college, and the only one to receive a PhD. From his background, Dr. Rodrigues believes that education plays a central role in addressing social inequalities through opening the door to new opportunities.
Dr. Rodrigues' role as professor extends beyond teaching to also encompass mentoring. While education gave him the opportunity to act on his determination to create a different future for his family and himself, it was only through the support of mentors that Dr. Rodrigues came to see the University of São Paulo, Brazilian top university, as an option for himself. Dr. Rodrigues also has a strong commitment to public sociology, regularly giving interviews in the popular press.
- PhD, Sociology, 2014, University of São Paulo – Brazil
- MA, Social Anthropology, 2006, University of São Paulo – Brazil
- BA, Social Sciences, 2003, University of São Paulo – Brazil
- SOC 150 Introduction to Society
- SOC 152 Social Problems
- SOC 310 Social Deviance
- SOC 332 Juvenile Delinquency
- SOC 350 Violence and Society in Latin America
- Rodrigues, H., Medina, J. (2021). Police legitimacy and procedural justice among young Brazilian adolescents: A cross-sectional and time-ordered analysis. British Journal of Criminology, 61(5), 1206-1224.
- Edwards, L., Rodrigues, H., Thomas, K. (2020). Factors that differentiate preadolescents’ perception-change of parental legitimacy. International Journal of Child, Youth and Family Studies, 11(1), 22-44.
- Thomas, K., Rodrigues, H., Oliveira, R., Mangino, A. (2020). What predicts pre-adolescent compliance with family rules? A longitudinal analysis of parental discipline, procedural justice, and legitimacy evaluations. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 49, 936-950.
- Thomas, K., Rodrigues, H. (2020). Just world gap, privilege, and legal socialization: A study among Brazilian preadolescents. Social Justice Research, 33(1),18-43.
- Trinkner, R., Rodrigues, H., Veiga, D., Gifford, F., Gomes, A. (2020). Legal socialisation in Brazil: Examining the generalisability of the procedural justice model. International Journal of Comparative and Applied Criminal Justice, 44(1-2), 7-27.
- Medina, J., Rodrigues, H. (2019). The effects of victimization and fear of crime on the legal socialization of young adolescents in São Paulo, Brazil. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 63(8), 1148-1174.
- Thomas, K., Rodrigues, H., Gomes, A., Oliveira, R., Veiga, D., Brito, R. (2018). Parental legitimacy, procedural justice and adolescent compliance among Brazilian preadolescents. International Journal of Child, Youth and Family Studies, 9(3), 21-46.
- Rodrigues, H. (2017). A pedofilia e suas narrativas. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Multifoco.
- American Sociological Association (ASA)
- Midwest Sociological Society (MSS)
- Center for the Study of Violence (NEV)
- The U.S. Network for Democracy in Brazil
Research and professional interests
- Social deviance and violence
- Youth and adolescence
- Legal socialization and legitimacy
- Sociology of the global south